Topiary Park  

Topiary Park is a 9.2-acre (3.7-hectare) public park and garden in Columbus’ Discovery District. The Topiary Garden at Old Deaf School Park in the park is designed to depict figures from Georges Seurat’s 1884 painting, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. It is the only park that is entirely based on a painting. Bed Bug Exterminator Columbus

Because it was part of the campus of the Ohio Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, now known as the Ohio School for the Deaf, the park is officially named Old Deaf School Park. The city of Columbus, Ohio owns and maintains it through the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department.

The park is located in the heart of Columbus. It has topiaries trimmed into life-size figures of men, women, children, animals, and boats. It is set up in the style of the painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. There are topiaries of 54 people, eight boats, three dogs, a monkey, and a cat. It also has 220 trees of 35 different species. A cast-iron fence surrounds the area. In addition, jazz concerts are held in the park.

The park is next to the Columbus Metropolitan Library system’s Main Branch. Around 2015, the branch was renovated, and one of the architect’s goals was to connect the library to the park.

The park’s main entrance is located near the park’s southeast corner. The 2,400-square-foot (220-square-meter) structure houses offices, restrooms, an information desk, and a gift shop. It was built in 1998 in a French countryside house style to complement the park’s theme. The City of Columbus, Motorists Mutual Insurance, and the Friends of the Topiary Park scontributed to the structure’s construction.


Previously, the land was part of the 10-acre (4 ha) grounds purchased in 1829 for the Ohio Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. When the school relocated in 1953, the neighborhood began to deteriorate. Most of the school’s buildings burned down in 1981, resulting in the park’s development, which helped revitalize the area.

The modern-day Cristo Rey Columbus High School, one of the remaining school buildings, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The nomination includes the entire 10-acre former campus grounds.

The park was first developed as Old Deaf School Park in the mid-1980s. Columbus artists James and Elaine Mason designed Topiary Park and its garden. It was constructed in 1992 as a garden exhibit for the AmeriFlora exhibition in Columbus. It was created in 1989, along with hills and a small pond meant to represent the Seine River.

Address: 480 E Town St, Columbus, OH 

Check out other attractions like Center of Science and Industry